-see below for activities in picture form.
· Safe disposal of human excreta ie safe isolation of human excreta from the environment and hand washing after every visit to toilet;
· Safe disposal of solid and liquid waste ie putting waste to its final resting place in such a way that it does not endanger life and natural resources.
· Maintenance of personal, domestic and food hygiene ie keeping one’s body and other personal effects, his household and food preparations and storage in such a way that does not expose him to danger.
· Safe collection , storage and use of water mainly for drinking ie This refers to collection of water from a safe source using safe utensils or containers, storing it safely until it is safely consumed; and
· Control of insects and rodent vectors such as mosquitoes, flies and rats among others ie denying disease transmitting organisms any sanctuary from where it can multiply and attack a homestead.
Important facts to note by willing friends globally:
As a result of poor sanitation in this area, especially rural areas, people suffer from a wide range of preventable illnesses, among others: diarrhea. Improving access to sanitation is a good investment because:
· Sanitation is important for human health
· Sanitation generates economic benefits
· Sanitation contributes to human dignity and social development
· Sanitation Sustains the environment
We call upon willing friends globally to supplement our efforts in improving sanitation. “Every little bit advice from you helps” Send us an mail:
rural email@example.com/ to learn more …
Reflecting to the real situation
In this part of the country, like in many other developing countries, there is environmental degradation and pollution, water scarcity, and water pollution, poor housing, poor methods of waste disposal, poverty and a lot of human suffering in regard to environmental health.
|Researcher- in a hard to reach area, collecting data on rain water harvesting tanks build by -RRHS|
Nyakabingo Water Hygiene and sanitation Project : ( Gravity flow scheme )
Before the year 2004,most people in this area were walking more than two hours across the hills to reach a water source( Natural Water Spring) and were taking approximately 60 seconds to fill a twenty litter gallon. To over come the major problem of accessing clean water for domestic use, RRHS and the community started the project by protecting three natural water springs and joining them to increase the volume of water. this plan was further developed by the RRHS- online project consult Mr. Jim Chapman - based in USA.
|One of the three Natural in take water springs that we protected|
After Joining the three water springs, Volunteers without Boundaries donated funds to construct a tank of approximately 40,000 litters that supports a min gravity flow scheme.
In the bush, across the hill, we constructed a small water collection tank . The small tank has three Intake areas,and a provision for water over flow. all the water from three intake sources, first is collected before it continues to the big tank below. This was done to increase pressure. This was a very good and simple technology). Always feel free to come and discover.
|Mothers actively participated in collecting shapeless stones to build the tank.|
|Water reservoir tank build by RRHS/ VWB & the community.|
|Piping water across hills and valleys was a very interesting activity.|
|It was like a dream to have water at this school. RRHS has now fictionalized the plastic tank|
|We piped water; across valleys and big hills. It is time for you to come and discover.|
|At the School, we constructed a wash room for girls. The only one of it's kind in the area.|
Girls During their Menstrual periods, Wash and continue with studies.
|RRHS -Staff training pupils to make Re-usable Menstrual pads. email us to learn more:|
Rwenzori Rural Health Services has continued to support schools in promoting public health. the picture below shows RRHS Staff demonstrating making of a hand washing facility and em phasing on washing after every visiting a toil-ate, before eating and after.
|Demonstrating hand washing facility a t a school in Kasese-Uganda.|
|RRHS is encouraging pupils to eat while at school.(Mid day meals) Email us to learn more:|
|RRHS Executive Director and Staff in a planning meeting|